The Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology is mainly located in the ICN2 building at the UAB campus, together two other smaller modules (CM7 and CM3 buildings). We have two laboratory spaces of 51,4m2 and 37,4m2 each, plus office space for 14 people, in the main ICN2 building. Please see the section Contact us on how to reach us.
Our laboratory is highly equipped for the synthesis, conjugation and characterization of nanoparticles. Specifically, we count with the following equipment:
- Nanoparticle synthesis reactor: for scale-up synthesis up to 10 liters.
- Glovebox Workstation MBRAUN Unilab: equipped with freezer, mini-antechambers, solvent absorption traps, programmable transport systems, robotic handling options, and O2 and H2O analyzers. Complete inert gas system allowing to work below 1 ppm of both O2 and H2O
- Malvern ZetaSizer Nano ZS Instrument: operating with a light source wavelength of 532 nm for DLS and Z-Potential measurements.
- Shimadzu UV-2400 Spectrophotometer: recording UV-Visible absorption spectra in the wavelenght range of 190-1100 nm.
- Muffle furnace Nabertherm: Maximum temperature of 3000ºC and 4 liter capacity.
- Spectra/Por® Tube-A-Lyzer®: For dynamic dialysis
- Ls45 fluorescence spectrometer.
- Other laboratory equipment for nanoparticle synthesis and characterization: including Schlenk lines, refrigerated centrifuges working up to 21000 g, pH-meter, rotary evaporator, etc.
- Bio-apt conditions: Laminar Flow Cabinet and Autoclave to work sterile and LPS free, as a requirement to work with the immune system and obtaining NP samples with absence of bacterial contamination.
We count also with a complete range of technical services located in the campus of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona and nearby facilities. Firstly, ICN2 counts with a broad range of technical equipment through its Technical Development and Support Divisions, particularly the Electron Microscopy Laboratory. Also, either through active collaborations or making use of technical services we can take advantage of the facilities from Universitat de Barcelona (UB), Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barcelona (ICMAB), LEITAT Technological Centre, Barcelona Scientific Park (PCB), and the Institut de Biotecnologia i Biomedicina (IBB), among others. These facilities include advanced microscopy techniques (as HRTEM and SEM, EELS, SAED, HAADF, etc.), ICP-MS, X-Ray Diffraction, Magnetic measurements (SQUID) and also cell culture facilities (in addition to flow cytometry and cryo-electron microscopy). Moreover, very often our students have access to the ESRF synchrotron facilities in Grenoble, France, thanks to an ongoing collaboration.